Whiskey Distiller's Yeast Pack x4
This yeast pack has everything you need to make Malt Whiskey with Grain
It will make 4x 23L (6.1 US Gal) 8.5% ABV Barley Washes which will yield in total approximately 20L of quality craft Malt Whiskey.
What you get:
- 4x 20g Distiller’s Yeast - Whiskey
- 4x 12g Distiller’s Enzyme - High Temperature Alpha-amylase
- 4x 12g Distiller’s Enzyme - Glucoamylase
- 2x French Oak Medium Toast Carboy Spirals
- Still Spirits Turbo Clear
In addition, you will need 8kg of English or Scottish 2-Row Pale Ale Malt.
Recipe: How to make Malt Whiskey from Grain
Using 23 L (6.1 US Gal) 8.5% ABV Barley Wash
What you will need:
- 20g Distiller’s Yeast - Whiskey
- 12g Distiller’s Enzyme - High Temperature Alpha-amylase
- 12g Distiller’s Enzyme - Glucoamylase
- French Oak Medium Toast Carboy Spiral
- Still Spirits Turbo Clear
- 8kg – English or Scottish 2-Row Pale Ale Malt
We recommend using the Grainfather system. Fill the boiler with 21.9 L (5.8 US Gal) of water and input a temperature of 65°C (149°F)
When the water reaches 65°C (149°F), slowly add the grain, stirring slowly as you do to avoid dry clumps. Set up the mash as per the Grainfather instructions and add your Still Spirits Distiller’s Enzyme Alpha-amylase to the mash. Mash for 60 minutes.
After 60 minutes ramp the temperature up to 75°C (167°F) for the mash out. Continue to recirculate the wort at 75°C (167°F) for 10 minutes. 4
Sparge with 11 L (2.9 US Gal) of water. This water must be at 75°C (167°F).
Set the Grainfather to boil. Once it reaches 100°C (212°F), boil for 30 minutes. Ensure to pat down the proteins at the start of the boil to avoid foaming over. Allow the wort to cool.
Once the temperature of the wort drops below 65°C (149°F), add the Still Spirits Distiller’s Enzyme Glucoamylase and hold at 50-60°C (122-140°F) for 60 minutes for the enzyme to saccharify the starch. (Alternatively you can cool the wort to 30-32°C (86-90°F), adding your enzyme directly to the fermenter along with the yeast , fermenting at an optimum ambient air temperature of 30-32°C (86-90°F) for simultaneous scarification and fermentation)
Give the wort a good stir and then cool it using the counter flow wort chiller as per the Grainfather instructions. As the cool wort collects in your fermenter pitch the yeast.
Ferment at 20-35°C (68-95°F) ambient air temperature for optimum performance and quality.
Once the airlock stops bubbling and the specific gravity have been stable for two consecutive days, this indicates fermentation is complete. You should now leave your wash to stand for 1-2 days for any remaining solids and yeast to settle out. Still Spirits Turbo Clear can be used here to speed up the clarification process.
You are now ready to distil your wash to make whiskey. The wash should be siphoned into your still to leave behind the sediment. Please refer to the instruction manual of your distillation unit for detailed instructions on distilling your spirit. We recommend using the Alembic Pot Still and attaching this to the Grainfather.
After distilling you will be left with a richly flavoured but white coloured spirit. For best results you should age your whiskey on oak, either by filling into a 6-8 litre medium toast oak barrel (new, or used previously for whiskey), or by using the French Oak Medium Toast Carboy Spiral for a faster infusion. During ageing, you should taste your whiskey regularly until your desired level of oak flavour is achieved.
About the Yeast
A specialist active dried Whiskey distiller’s yeast producing an optimum congener profile for elegant, well-rounded and refined whiskey spirit for oak aging.
For fermentation of sugar, malt extract, or grain mash for distillation of Whiskey spirit using the Alembic Pot Still System with Mangrove Jack's Boiler or Grainfather Brewing System with the Pot Still Alembic Dome Top and Copper Condenser. For a result with less character, the Turbo 500 System including the Stainless Steel Condenser and Turbo 500 Copper Condenser can be used, if the ceramic saddles are removed, instead of using the Pot Still Alembic Dome Top and Copper Condenser.
- Net Weight: 20 g (0.7 US oz)
- Sufficient for: Up to 25 L (6.6 US Gal)
- Alcohol Tolerance: 15% ABV
- Attenuation: 90-100% (High)
- Flocculation Rate: Medium
- Recommended Temperature Range: 20-35°C (68-95°F)
- Strain Classification: Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Viable Yeast Cells/g: >1 x 1010
- Dry Weight: 92-96%
- Wild Yeast Cells/g: <1 per 106 cells
- Total Bacteria: <1 x 105 cfu/g
- GMO Status: GMO Free
- Shelf Life: 24 Months
- Storage: Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Place of Origin: Made in the UK from imported and local ingredients.
- Packaging: Packaged in a protective atmosphere.
Add directly to fermentation vessel and leave to ferment at 20-35°C (68-95°F) ambient air temperature for optimum performance and quality.
Dried yeast (yeast, emulsifier [E491]).