Top Shelf Dark Rum: Cocktail Series
Top Shelf Dark Rum is a dramatic yet mellow dark rum with up-front flavour that is styled on popular seafaring rums of olden times. The punch recipe below is a real crowd pleaser and guaranteed to get any party going!
USS Richmond Punch Cocktail
All hands on deck for the historic quadruple-liquor USS Richmond Punch. This punch from Liquor.com advisory board member and cocktail historian David Wondrich is nothing short of miraculous. It's not only the perfect way to entertain a party, but the dark rum, VSOP and port combination has a well-rounded, citrusy flavor and isn't too sweet. The key ingredient is a little black tea, which has just enough caffeine to keep the party going!
- Place a 2-3L bowl of water in the freezer and let freeze overnight.
- Peel 6 lemons with a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler, trying not to get any of the white pith.
- In bowl, muddle the peels with 1.5 cups of superfine sugar and let stand for an hour for the lemon oil to leach out.
- Juice the peeled lemons and add the juice to the sugar mixture, along with the tea.
- Strain out the peels and pour into a 4L container.
- Add the rum, VSOP, port and Grande Paris and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, unmold the block of ice into a 8L punch bowl.
- Add the chilled punch stock and top off with the club soda (or, if feeling dangerous, Champagne).
- Garnish with grated numeg and 1 seeded lemon sliced thinly. Serves 20.