NEW: Still Spirits 4L Air Still Mini Distillery & SUPER PACK! (shipping early November)|
The 4L Air Still is the fast and simple way to make your favourite spirits and liqueurs at a fraction of the cost
We have combined our highly popular Air Still with the 10L Companion Pack, and Fermentation Kit into one complete kit, making it even easier for those new to distilling to get into the hobby quickly and easily. The Air Still Mini Distillery Kit contains everything you need to distil water, essential oil (minus the botanicals) and up to 2L of vodka (minus the sugar).
ABOUT THE AIR STILL
This compact and sleek stainless steel Air Still is designed for alcohol, water and oil distillate. The Air Still is extremely easy to use, requires no water and is powered by electricity making it great to use in your kitchen, boat, or campervan. Perfect for distilling small quantities at one time.
Why not add the infusion basket? The latest product in the Air Still range, use this stainless steel basket to infuse vodka and gin with botanicals, lemon or orange peel, cinnamon sticks, chili or anything else you'd like to whack in. Simply clip it into the side of the Air Still lid and get creative!
Suitable for new distillers, no experience required! This kit includes:
- 4L Air Still
- 10L Fermenter with Thermometer
- Carbon Filter System with Spirit Collector
- Mixing Spoon
- Distilling Conditioner
- Boil Enhancers
- Air Still Fermentation Kit (Turbo Yeast & Nutrients, Turbo Carbon, Turbo Clear for making a 8L wash producing 2L of 40% alcohol)
- 2 x Vodka 1L Essences (for flavoured water or vodka)
Check out this video on how to use the Still Spirits Air Still Mini Distillery
Please note: It’s illegal to distil alcohol for consumption in Australia without a license from the ATO
How do I distil essential oils?
Previously there has been a mention on the boxes and front of the instruction manuals of the Air Still stating that this unit should be used for distilling/extracting essential oils. This unit is not best used for distilling essential oils, this is best done using the Alembic Pot Still setup. However, it is possible to be done with the Air Still. This differs depending on the material you use. But a good guide is as follows:
Rosemary - Use 300 g of rosemary leaves and 3.65 L of water (don't fill over the max amount). Turn the Air Still on, collect the distillate (preferable in fractions). We recommend collecting no more than 80% (3 L) otherwise it will boil dry and cook the rosemary.
How do I distil water?
Before use, clean the inside of the still and fill it with clean water to the 4L line which is marked on the inside. Make sure that no water is spilt on the outside of the body and ensure that both electrical sockets are clean and dry.
- Fit the top cover of the still in place and plug the fan lead into the socket in the still body.
- Place a 4L collection jug under the outlet nozzle.
- Press the reset button on the base of the still.
- Connect the main power cord between the still and the mains power socket.
- Turn on the mains power socket switch.
- You will hear the fan in the top cover of the still start.
- It will take about 1½ hours for the water to heat up.
- Once distillation starts, water will begin to drip into the collection bottle.
- The still will take about 10 hours to distil off the 4 litres (1 US gallon) .
- The power supply reset switches off automatically when the distillation is completed.
- You will need to press the reset button on the base of the still before you next use it. After distillation the water needs to be polished. We recommend filtering the distilled water through a Still Spirits Air Still Carbon Filter.
Using the Infusion Basket
The Still Spirits Air Still has a hole under the lid where the vapour enters and condensers in the cooling coil before coming out as liquid alcohol. If botanicals get stuck within the cooling coil, this may cause unwanted pressure build up inside the unit.
To prevent this, when using the Air Still Infusion Basket, we suggest to:
- Use a muslin cloth, hop bag or tea bag if using small plant materials such as dried herbs and spices.
- Use plant materials that are larger than the hole under the lid (greater than 1cm).
- Do not turn the top of the Air Still upside down when inserting the basket to ensure no plant material falls into the hole.